The Twilight Zone: A 60th Anniversary Celebration
Six episodes of the show The Twilight Zone, with a added value piece about creator Ron Serling.
1. Walking Distance: The busy and stressed VP of an ad agency, Martin Sloan, stops his car at a gas station. When asked the attendant tells him it will take about an hour to change the oil and perform a lube job. In the meantime, Martin realizes he is 1.5 miles away from Homewood the hometown he left 25 years ago and decides to walk there. Soon he finds that he has returned to the past; where he finds his 11-year-old self and his parents. Season 1 episode 5 – aired 10.30.59
2. Time Enough at Last: Henry Bemis loves to read. The only problem is that he can find neither the time nor the place to enjoy his pastime. At work, his boss has let him know in no uncertain terms that he is not to read during working hours. At home, his shrewish wife won’t even let him read a newspaper, let alone a book. One day, he sneaks down to the vault in the bank’s basement to read a bit and suddenly, there is a huge explosion above. He emerges to find the world destroyed in a nuclear holocaust. He does find books from the library and he sees a great deal of reading time ahead of him. Except for one small unintended event. Season 1 episode 8 – aired 11.20.59
3. The Invaders: An old woman who lives alone in a ramshackle farmhouse comes face to face with alien invaders. She hears something on her roof and then finds a flying saucer, perhaps six or seven feet across from which emerges two small robots. She fights them as best she can and eventually succeeds in destroying their ship. The nature of the invaders however is not immediately obvious, however. Season 2 episode 15 – aired 1.27.61
4. The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street: On a pleasant day, the residents of Maple Street feel something akin to a tremor and hear a loud noise. Steve Brand thinks it’s a meteorite though they didn’t hear a create. When young Tommy tells them the science fiction story, he read about an alien invasion where they were first sent among humans to live with them in disguise, paranoia sets in. They first suspect Les Goodman and loudmouth Charlie Farnsworth then points the finger at Steve and then Tommy. Events turn on Charlie as everyone runs amok. Season 1 episode 22 – aired 3.4.60
5. Eye of the Beholder: Janet Tyler is in hospital having undergone treatment to make her look normal. It’s her 11th trip to the hospital for treatment and she is desperate to look like everyone else. Some of her earliest childhood memories are of people looking away, horrified by her appearance. Her bandages will soon come off and she can only hope that this, her last treatment, will have done the trick. If not, her doctor has told she will be segregated with a colony of similar looking people. All that to say that truth is truly in the eye of the beholder. Season 2 episode 6 – aired 11.11.60
6. To Serve Man: Michael Chambers recounts recent events on Earth after the arrival of a alien space craft. The aliens, known as Kanamit, seem friendly and assure everyone they have nothing to be afraid of. In fact, they offer to share wonderful technology that will provide limitless energy, cure all disease and convert deserts into lush gardens. For the people of Earth, paradise has arrived. Chambers is an encryption specialist and they try their best to decrypt a book the Kanamit left behind. The book’s title seems benign – but it’s not what they think it is. Season 3 episode 24 – 03.02.1962